Monday, September 10, 2007

Book Club stuff

One of the enrichment group interests in our ward is a book group. We have a few loyal members and some that attend sporadically (that looks funny, maybe it is misspelled---and so does THAT) anyway, I digress...we are trying to read and suggest "good" books. (At least none of the members who attend are like some of the ones in Kristen's old group in Roxborough, who dissed the choices of others as being inappropriate, or violent, or too physical, but we are mostly reading non-controversial books, anyway.)


This month we are reading 1776 by David McCollough, and I haven't finished it yet even though we had all summer to do the deed. The discussion is tomorrow night, and I'll get it finished sooner or later, (obviously later), and then next month we are reading Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Burns. Kristen has gotten her dental wives' group together to read the Kite Runner, which she swiped from me. Someday I'll get around to that too.


The problem seems to be that I can read a book just fine if it's my speed and my idea, but as soon as it gets "assigned" I seem to have a disinclination to get to it. AND maybe I would just rather read mindless twaddle from time to time...


Oh yeah, K invited me to become her "friend" on a discussion web site where people talk about books they enjoy, and it is a great reminder of all the good stuff there is to read...I just wonder how many of the contributors "censor" the list of books they read, so we look more erudite and highbrow than we really are....Last Sunday's paper had the PERFECT comic strip for what I'm talking about, although I'll never tell everything I read...


1 comment:

kristenita said...

mom did you read 1776 yet? did you like it? I started john adams and it was good but then I got busy and never finished it. I loved his writing though!

Janet has your kite runner!