Sunday, November 18, 2007

Pre-Thanksgiving

Okay, I can probably manage to get in a couple posts a month, and maybe even have something to talk about. It is interesting how some people always have something interesting to say, while others ramble on and on and on...(like this for instance)...anyway, as Kristen pointed out I post more often when I am at her house. I guess that is because there is less there to keep me distracted than there is at my own house. I flit more places around here, so that must be part of it.

Our weather is about to change AGAIN, and I guess that one of these days we will get winter in earnest. It has been so nice to have relatively warm days to do my flitting. (As I explained to the checker when I bought two lightweight snow shovels, if I buy these it will be less likely to snow...same reasoning as the fact that if I wash my car it will be sure to rain...) who says we don't have some control over the weather? Also, now that Michelle's snow tires are on her car she can drive on dry roads for longer than if we delayed the tire swap.

Some days I think our last name could be Murphy. Just a couple of days ago I was at Costco and THREE customers in front of me all had some glitch in ringing up their orders while all the other lanes seemed to be moving. The guy behind me said that it was his fault for choosing what seemed like the shorter line, though, so I'll take his word for it. Maybe his name is Murphy. But seriously, doesn't it seem that the trainee teller is always at the bank when you run in to make a QUICK deposit, or the receipt tape needs to be changed no matter WHICH store you are shopping at, or the employees are doing a shift change as soon as you are locked into a check-out lane, or THEN they open up more and you are already committed... I have learned that the best thing to do is just try to be pleasant anyway, because getting grouchy just makes it worse on everybody, and if anything the transaction takes even LONGER. Oh well, we have all the time-saving stuff in our lives so I guess we are just impatient and petty when things don't go as fast as we want. I'm trying to come up with a better character so I don't get stressed out over all the small stuff, and most everything I deal with is actually the small stuff I guess...

I'm reading several books about the glycemic index, and it is pretty sobering that all my life I have made a lot of cooking and eating poor choices. It is a little hard to change all at once, but we are making some new choices and opening our horizons. Some foods seem like winners and some are busts, but we'll keep trying. Trouble is that a lot of our food storage is some of the poor-choice variety, so we'll get that gone and I won't replenish it. (Now for the new shopping...I like that idea, so maybe this won't be so bad after all.) ...Although come to think of it we have to eat differently at all the holiday feasts and grazing opportunities for the next six weeks, so time to buy more veggies and fewer processed grains... smile, think healthy choices...we can do this.

No comments: